The Dreaded (Woman-ly) Annual Exam

Today's Results
The scale reads: 147 lbs. (Analog scale at doctor's) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 10027 steps (6440 aerobic steps for 67 minutes), 3.95 mi., 273 calories

Other aerobic activities:
  • Firm It Up (1 hour)

Yesterday's Results
The scale reads: 148 lbs. (Digital scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 9703 steps (6291 aerobic steps for 58 minutes), 3.82 mi., 261 calories

June 5th's Results
The scale reads: 149 lbs. (Digital scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 8241 steps (0 aerobic steps for 0 minutes), 3.25 mi., 240 calories

June 4th's Results
The scale reads: 149 lbs. (Digital scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 5761 steps (0 aerobic steps for 0 minutes), 2.27 mi., 159 calories

June 3rd's Results
The scale reads: 148 lbs. (Digital scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 5560 steps (0 aerobic steps for 0 minutes), 2.19 mi., 153 calories

Other aerobic activities:
  • Helping my aunt move stuff around at her house

I went for some blood work and my well woman exam. My appointment wasn't until 1:00pm so I had fasted for over 12 hours and I did not have quality sleep. You can only imagine how much of the grumpy bear demeanor manifested in the tone of my voice and body language.

I felt attacked. I came home with a bruised arm because one of the nurses had trouble drawing blood. Was I really that much of a nervous wreck where my blood vessels were that constricted? It took four attempts and a different nurse before a hemal spring started flowing (almost uncontrollably). The triglyceride problem reared its ugly head again in my conversations with the nurse. It really burned my emotional psyche when she uttered "Do you just not care?" Going to another doctor to check out this "triglyceride problem" is not a priority when I don't have health insurance, when I don't want to fill out a form for the "Gold Card" program that takes time to process (and for all I know I may have other health alternatives/programs then), and when I have to battle my weight and sleep issue.

The pill has been causing some abnormal bleeding (for almost as long as I have been using it) and I was hoping they could prescribe an alternative. When they first prescribed this pill, they said there's a possibility I might not even have a period. The triglyceride problem prevented the nurse from prescribing any other pill. They insisted because of this health issue, it would not be safe to ingest any pill with estrogen in it because it could elevate the risk of clogged arteries.

To stop the abnormal bleeding, the head nurse recommended taking ibuprofen (800mg) every 6 hours for 5 days. Does that sound like quackery to you? When they had mentioned the dosage, a large red flag started waving. I don't know what to believe.

Is this sound medical advice?

At the end of the day, I felt frustrated but have a stronger resolve to tackle my abnormal sleep and eating habits. Maybe addressing those issues first would decrease my stress and triglyceride problem in the long run and help with this woman-ly issue.

3 comments:

  1. Wow who the hell was that nurse? Talk about a poor way of dealing with such a topic. Hmm what is this triglyceride problem? Is the count too high?

    What is this abnormal bleeding? If you don't mind me asking ... Just not quite sure why they would prescribe that much ibuprofen. It won't cause an overdose, but ibuprofen messes with your stomach lining so that's my concern with it. It eats it away so there should always be caution if they prescribe a continuous dose of it.

    Ibuprofen is a painkiller/anti-inflammatory type of drug. I know people with hemophilia blood type issues should not take it because I believe it also act as a blood thinner. So maybe that's the link to this? Did they give you any insight of why they prescribed that?

    But don't get too disheartened by this. I think if you work on the sleep issue and improve your fitness slowly, most of these issues may just end up resolving itself.

    If anything, I'd also see if there would be another doctor to talk with to get a second opinion of the treatment being prescribed. Just the way things were brought up and handled, it left a bad taste in my mouth, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, the triglyceride count was way too high the last time I visited with them and the nurse kept pressing the fact that I may die from clogged arteries. I honestly think it's a combo platter of stress, crazy hormone levels because of whacky sleep, and I don't think I fasted long enough last time I took the test. I never get a straight answer about how many hours I should fast before the appointment. Then again, I've had a high triglyceride count since I was a kid.

    The abnormal bleeding is random spotting. So essentially I have a light period nearly every other week. They said the ibuprofen would minimize the frequency of spotting. <Big time shrugs>

    I just hope the blood work results would show that the triglyceride count dropped and I could try another type of birth control pill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with Susy. I really hope you can get the opinion, and advice, of another doctor. Maybe it'd be a good idea to repeat your blood work again, but this time, earlier during the day.

    The spotting is not normal. I am really concerned about this. Hope you find time to apply for the "Gold Card" or make an appointment with a low-cost doctor asap. Please keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete

Sedentary

Progress Report Mind: 12-day Headspace streak Challenge of picking up jQuery in a short amount of time after a long hiatus AIAA Hous...