Pregnancy Checklist

Today's Results
The scale reads: 144 lbs. (Analog scale - I've come to accept that this scale reading needs to add 2-3 lbs. I'll continue to show what the scale reads) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 10069 steps (3249 aerobic steps for 27 minutes), 3.97 mi., 281 calories (I kinda cheated - I wore the pedometer while working out)

Other aerobic activities:
  • Cheryl Burke's Disco Abs - Boogie Oogie Buns and Thighs (20 minutes)
  • Cheryl Burke's Disco As - That's the Way I Like It Abs (5 minutes)

Don't worry! I'm not thinking about having a baby.

I just received another solicitation from March of Dimes and in 18+ size font the solicitation insisted I show a friend, daughter, or granddaughter I care by talking to them about some of the steps they can take to help her baby be born healthy.

More than 17% of all babies who die, are lost to their loving families because they were born prematurely!

If you're not yet pregnant and would like to prepare for pregnancy,
  • Take 400mg of folic acid daily before and during early pregnancy, which will reduce your baby's risk for neural tube defects (birth defects of the brain and spine). You can get enough by taking a multivitamin, supplement, or eating a fortified breakfast cereal with 100% of the recommended daily amount of folic acid. Additional foods that contain folic acid include enriched grain products, green leafy vegetables, oranges, and orange juice
  • See your health care provider now if you're thinking about getting pregnant to get a preconception health checkup to find out how to best prepare yourself and have the healthiest baby possible
  • Adopt healthy habits like no smoking or drinking and check with a health care provider before taking any prescription or over-the-counter drugs
  • Achieve your ideal weight before you conceive because getting plenty of exercise is important, too
  • Know your medical history because conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, and infections should be well under control before pregnancy
  • Get all immunizations
  • Avoid hazards like toxic substances and chemicals (avoid children's sandboxes as cats may use them as a litter box)
  • Avoid stress for the health of both mother and baby

If you're already pregnant,
  • Take care of yourself
  • Make healthy choices about eating and exercise
  • Schedule regular prenatal visits with your physician
  • Don't drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes, or take any drugs except those approved by your health care provider
  • Contact the Pregnancy & Newborn Health Education Center to get confidential answers to questions about pregnancy, including signs of preterm labor and what to do about them. Visit their website or e-mail askus@marchofdimes.com

I may not be thinking about having a baby at this very moment, but it's straightforward advice I can use for this weight loss endeavor.

The greatest lesson learned from this solicitation: I better stay away from the park sandboxes since cats seem to use it for litterboxes.

On a side note, when Chris and I played with the "Gene Machine" at Dave & Busters, we got children that looked like disgruntled, disfigured, non-Chinese, non-Mexican children. When we opted for a Hispanic child, it looked Black. When we selected Asian, it looked like a stock photo of an Asian child. One of them looked like a d-bag (I'm quoting someone else). I don't know what happened to these pictures, but when I find them, I'll be sure to scan them.

2 comments:

  1. LOL that's funny because the lesson you learned was the same one I did from reading this. The whole time I was just thinking ... huh I guess sandboxes probably look like big litter boxes to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! I was just about to comment on the sandboxes thing too without realizing that Susy also mentioned it.

    This is a lot of great information and it's great advice on how to keep our womanly bodies healthy regardless if they're babyless or not :)

    ReplyDelete

Sedentary

Progress Report Mind: 12-day Headspace streak Challenge of picking up jQuery in a short amount of time after a long hiatus AIAA Hous...