Fried Twinkies, Buckle Bunnies, & Bull Riders

Today's Results
The scale reads: 143 lbs.? (Analog scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

The awesome pedometer reads: 11215 steps (5985 aerobic steps for 65 minutes), 4.42 mi., 328 calories

Other aerobic activities:
  • Dance It Off - Tone It Up (20 Minutes)


Image courtesy of Josh Peter's
Fried Twinkies... website
Whoa, PBR! No, not Pabst Blue Ribbon, Professional Bull Riding.

I forgot what I was searching for in library's catalog, but I came across this nugget of a title. I never cared to read a book on a sport, but I was intrigued that there was even one for PBR. The title also had me at "fried." The title lured me to nosh on more facts about the touring life of bull riders and fighters.

The book is a pretty easy read with its conversational style. The candid anecdotes and quotes makes it easier to relate to these "Built Ford Tough" individuals. I don't know why I was particularly struck by this quote from 3-time champ, Tuff Hedeman: "I was poor as you could get... I couldn't even pay attention." A lot of these men had humble beginnings, but they had grand dreams that helped them rise to super stardom.

If there was anything that made me a cowgal, it's the satisfaction of watching professional bull riding. I own a pair of boots and a pseudo-cowboy hat, but I haven't been to a rodeo, ridden a horse bareback, lassoed recalcitrant livestock with a lariat, or corraled some cattle. I wouldn't cut it as a cowgal even if I pump up my athleticism and physical activity. This book is pretty candid about how being a cowboy isn't easy. Luke Perry's role of Lane Frost in 8 Seconds proves the lifestyle is deadly and costly. The video below also demonstrates this:


After reading a quarter of the book, I'm awe-inspired by the athleticism these men have. There was no significant mention of women pursuing the sport, but then again it seems mighty intense for petite individuals to wrestle with 1,700 lbs. of flesh.

Eh, maybe one day I can tackle the mechanical bull again?

1 comment:

  1. Good job on logging in some work out time with your busy schedule.

    Man PBR is an awfully frightening sport to engage in. Haha I think you can tackle that mechanical one though. Not saying it is easy by far, I know if i tried I'd prob get flung outta the room. But at least there is no danger of a mechanical bull trampling you.

    ReplyDelete

Sedentary

Progress Report Mind: 12-day Headspace streak Challenge of picking up jQuery in a short amount of time after a long hiatus AIAA Hous...