Week 1: Almost Walked Across All of Delaware

Yesterday's Results
The scale reads: 147 lbs. (Digital scale) Goal: 127 lbs.

ADT Progress: 32.87 mi.


Week 1 Results

I virtually walked through an entire state! Mind you it's not a Texas-sized state, of course. On a side note, I don't know where I found the time and motivation to log in so many miles this week, but I am pleased.

Growing up along the West Coast has made me ignorant of the East Coast. In my simpleton mind, Delaware appears to be swallowed up by neighboring states in physical and historical prominence. I had forgotten its historical importance of being the first state to ratify the Constitution (I guess I'm tipping my hat to the U.S. Mint for circulating commemorative coins of the 50 states in the order the state had penned their approval of this document so the general public can remember this bit of history?). Heck, I didn't know of its musical significance. Delaware's own native son, the astute entrepreneur Eldridge Reeves Johnson, created the Victrola Talking Machine Company and pioneered efforts in the sound recording industry. In addition to RCA, Johnson made Nipper, the dog staring into a phonograph, an icon.


Zwaanendael Museum - modeled after the town hall in Hoorn, the Netherlands
I would have really loved to see the Zwaanendael Museum in Lewes, the first town in the first state. After the native Americans, the Dutch were the first Europeans to settle in the region in hopes of developing their agriculture and whaling industries. The museum showcases the Dutch's maritime, military, and social histories. I guess living in Southern California has made me partial to maritime museums because of exploring life near or in the sea.

Let's see what part of Maryland my virtual travels will take me to next week.

Random factoid: The fantastic Dutch "Z" word the colony and museum is named after means "valley of the swans."

2 comments:

  1. Man you're off to quite a start! I, too, forgot it was the first state to ratify the Constitution. Then again, I would say my history knowledge is quite lacking at best.

    Very cool factoids though. Keep it up! I look forward to reading about ze other states in your virtual walk from coast to coast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're products of LAUSD so that's why we're lacking in the history department. That's my thinking and I'm sticking to it! :P

    Thanks for virtually joining me in this coast-to-coast adventure :).

    ReplyDelete

Sedentary

Progress Report Mind: 12-day Headspace streak Challenge of picking up jQuery in a short amount of time after a long hiatus AIAA Hous...